Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Week 8: Diversity of gender and sexuality in Manga and Anime

This was my favorite week to discover because I hadn't ever really read LGBTQ+ manga that I felt realistically represented the community (in a non-festishy way). So I really really enjoyed My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, so much that I also recommended some friends to read it.
UK Anime Network - Manga - My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
I felt the story represented depression and anxiety really realistically and how easy it is to fall into negative cycles. It also explored the pressure women are faced to fit into boxes by what they do, how they look, and who they're attracted to. I love how the author wrote about their experience with the prostitute, it showed sex workers in a positive light and how it can really effect peoples lives. Sex work isn't always a negative thing and it was awesome to see it in this light.

I also really enjoyed the presentation on Nana. It was something I was familiar with based just on the art style but had never read/watched it. It seemed to really represent female friendships in a positive light which I think is very important. Reminded me a bit of Carole & Tuesday.
NANA (TV) - Anime News Network

No comments:

Post a Comment