Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Week 12: Contemporary Manga

For this week I read some of Silver Spoon by Hiromu Arakawa which I was pretty excited to read. I never watched/read Full Metal Alchemist but I have a lot of friends who absolutely love it so I had high hopes for this series also by her.

Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon Manga Will End in 4 Chapters | Manga ...

I think it's really awesome how different this work is from her other and how she has a personal connection to agriculture which helped make the manga seemed so based in reality. I was worried this series was going to showcase stereotypical sunshiny farming life but it defintely different. She was able to get across the theme that it can be extremely harsh but beautiful. She also successfully included a lot of stereotypical manga character traits so that the reader could relate to the characters more without it feeling cheesy or out of place. In general, the manga was enjoyable to me but also a bit tough to read because I am a longtime vegetarian so it was a battle with my own morals. But, I like how she showcased the realities of farming and the the ethical questions that come along with such a job.

سباي. on Twitter: "Hiromu Arakawa's Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon ...

I thought the artwork was nice. I don't think it added too much to the story nor take anything away. Some of the designs were quite funny, like the riding club teacher but it wasn't that distracting. These little character design changes made it easy to keep track of who was who. Also, I liked her used to a character guide to remind the viewers who we were reading about. It helped me a lot to understand what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment