Saturday, April 25, 2020

Week 13: Manga, Anime and Japanese Cultural Values

This week I read Oishinbo and it honestly was one of my favorite reads this whole semester. I love cooking and I love any kinda media about cooking. Especially those that explore the cultural aspect of cooking. I also love mangas that teach me a lot and this was defintely did. The culture of cooking in Japan makes for a perfect base of a manga. It starts with a good base and finishes with great characters. No character is taken too seriously and there is a lot of stereotypical but it helps to contrast the seriousness of Japanese cooking. In general, I found the characters very charming but also humorous. The rivalry of our protagonist and his father really made for some great comedy moments especially when he helps the kid get back into the restaurant.

Oishinbo - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

The art of this manga was very unique. The males to me looked more like western comics style while the girls were straight up out of a 90's shoujo. It was a bit weird at first but the more I read, the more I loved the character designs. It just felt so unique and fresh while also helping to add to their characterizations.

Oishinbo 006 – shiteatersubs

This manga just wanted me to keep reading it and I couldn't put it down. Not to mention that is made me extremely hungry even though I don't eat or like fish they were able to make the dishes look like the most delicious things on the planet. This was a unique read and I actually recommended some of my friends who also like Japanese cooking to check it out. Now I'm interested in watching the show/films.

Oishinbo 004 – shiteatersubs


No comments:

Post a Comment