Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Week 14: The influence of Manga and Anime in the West

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
I thought this Webtoon was awesome and presented the troubles of growing up in a unique and interesting way. I liked how the author chose to represent childhood by magic and the structure of adulthood with concrete. The visuals of Ildeung and L being trapped in concrete walls really showed the pressures that parents can put onto children to be the perfect version of themselves that they wish them to be. I've never read anything quite like this story and really enjoyed it, each chapter desperately made me want to keep reading and I'm glad I got to.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?
I was able to connect a lot with the story because I have always wanted to be an artist but had to face the realities of it not being viewed as a "steady" or "adult" job. Much like the main characters, I was a very good student who wanted to be a conventionally successful adult. But, much like them, I didn't view this path as fulfilling so I took the more difficult road. In the eyes of The Magician, I went to the flower field instead of the concrete path. I also related to the theme of not wanting to grow up and the fear of becoming an adult. I think what this story made me realize was that the conventional "adult life" of getting married, having a good job, and starting a family can be scary for people. It's not what everyone wants but its whats presented to us ad the "adult life" as children. But, we see L as an adult living his dream life of a Magician, something he's focused his whole life on to chase his real happiness. I think it's important to teach kids that there can be a balance in life between completely losing yourself to adulthood and following your dreams while still being a functioning adult. I think the characters of Ah-ee and L show the contrast between those two worlds.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

I think this story would make a good live action movie. I would wanna push the paper-cut elements that the author chose sometimes for her story. I think it was good to represent childhood and add a bit of magic into the story. I really enjoyed Ildeung's character arc and know that his odd looking design was the highlight his growth as a character but I don't think it would be necessary in a live action remake. It might just be affective to have him change his image a bit when he is feeling that he is stuck on the concrete path. I would also probably change the ending a bit and have Ah-ee meet L at the very end once she has become a magician. 

4. In what ways does this story seem more adapted to an online environment?

What stood out to me the most was the use of vertical panels that you had to rotate your phone to view correctly. It allowed for the artist to make more impactful scenes that weren't confined to the usually horizontal view. I think it's great for an online environment because it's so experimental stylistically. It used a lot of photography and photomashing which I believe is best viewed online. Also the story was a pretty short read so the online environment allowed me to consume to the story pretty quickly which helped me grasp the entire concept as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment